Interpreting a Nonprofit Search Profile
A list of things to consider when reviewing a Nonprofit Search profile
The “Reviewed” icon means the nonprofit completed a profile application and provided financial data to the Community Foundation for review.
The “Declined to Update” icon means the organization has not provided information in over 13 months.
Mission & Areas Served
- What is the history of this organization?
- Where does this organization work and how is it having an impact on that community?
- What does this organization need to more effectively deliver its mission?
- Is this organization working to meet its stated mission?
- What programs and/or services does this organization provide?
- What impact are these programs having? How is success measured?
- Do you want to fund programs that provide for immediate needs or create sustainable long-term solutions?
- Do you want to support a large, well-established organization or a small, start-up nonprofit?
- Is the staff of this organization reflective of the communities it serves?
- Does this organization collaborate with other agencies?
- Are the necessary business practices in place for the organization to plan for the future and operate in a responsible and effective manner?
- Does the agency have a fundraising or strategic plan?
- How active and engaged is this organization’s board?
- Is the composition of the board reflective of the population the organization serves?
- Are appropriate practices in place to support responsible and effective governance?
- Does the Board fully support the agency with time and financial contributions?
- Is the organization solvent?
- Does the agency rely on funds from diverse revenue sources such as individuals, foundations, government entities or earned revenue?
- Is the organization taking steps to build a reserve to remain operational if it were to lose a key component of revenue?